Friday, May 11, 2012

I Support Obama on Gay Marriage




President Obama made headlines this week when he announced in an exclusive ABC interview with Robin Roberts, that "same-sex couples should be allowed to marry." Naturally, there's no way a sitting President's comments about gays, especially in the age of evolving social media, would go by undetected. Especially since gay marriage is a hot topic on political forums.

Obama's remarks has made him the first President in the history of the U.S., to clarify a stance on gay marriage. I was not quite shocked to hear of his approval. I feel that the new generations of Americans have become more progressive in their thinking and are not just tolerant, but accepting.

I support Obama's comments because it will take the country in the right direction. The direction of what this country stands for—land of the free. The old traditional values that several Americans want to return to or enforce, will disrupt the rhythm of moving forward. I do not believe there's something wrong with not believing in or supporting homosexuality, but what exactly are gays and lesbians doing to their non-supporters that makes them unable to see how their sexual preference doesn't affect them? I used to think it was an issue for me too, but it's not and never will be!

How society responded to homosexuality fifty years ago, is a vast difference from how many view it today. But even still, gay slurs are common insults, hate crimes towards homosexuals are not often prosecuted as hate crimes, and the revelation of 'coming out' is still an issue (when it shouldn't be).

I'm glad that my home state approved gay marriage last year. I would love to see everyone receive equal rights regardless of their race, gender, ethnicity, or sexuality. Any President that is vocal about these issues, is one that will take the country in the right direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment