Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Wear Sunscreen for this Summer

Image courtesy of bulldogza / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
May is Melanoma and Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention month. Although I have a dark skin complexion, and people with darker skin don't commonly get skin cancer at high rates, the likelihood is still there and regardless, anyone can be diagnosed with skin cancer. And it was only recently I learned all of this.

Melanoma is the most dangerous skin cancer that exists, and thousands of people die from it every year. Health professionals say the best way to prevent melanoma is to stay out of the sun when you can and wear sunscreen, particularly ones that are labeled broad spectrum, which specially protects against UVA and UVB rays. This was brand new to me, because I never really put much thought into protecting my skin from the sun. During the summer, I'm always out in the sun and I never thought once about putting my skin in danger, and I've never gotten a sunburn. I just took in the sun for as long as I was out in it—no protection.

But this coming summer I'll be traveling a lot, and now that I'm aware of the risks, I'll need to get some sunscreen.

I bought my first sunscreen last year and it was in the form of a moisturizer. It was Ambi's facial moisturizer, and I didn't even know it was also a sunscreen until I saw the description one day. It had a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 (recommended for dark skin) and moisturizes your skin. Although it effectively works for what it says it does (and smells amazing too), I'm careful with it around my eyes, and that's the only downside with that product for me. I would still recommend it for anyone to use however. It's not sticky like I've heard other sunscreens are, and it's very light. But unless you'll be wearing long-sleeved tops, you'll need a higher SPF product.

Someone recommended that I use Aveeno's sunscreens which I look forward to buying. I use a lot of Aveeno products for my skin already, so I'm hopeful I like their sunscreen. But I researched several other sunscreens from various brands, and there is lots to choose from. Lots!

Here are some quick tips for sunscreen shopping: (1) figure out how easily you sunburn (2) how long you may be in the sun (3) what SPF you'll need (4) what it protects against (e.g. UVA/UVB) and lastly the brand. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation if you sunburn after 20 minutes in the sun without the use of sunscreen, wearing an SPF 15 will protect you from sun exposure 15x's longer, or for 5 hours. The lighter your skin, the higher the SPF you're recommended to wear. So don't neglect to wear it.

Protect your skin this summer! 

Read more about Melanoma and prevention tips.




No comments:

Post a Comment